Our Histology Unit
Our histology unit is aimed at providing expert and cost effective histology and pathology services to our clients, in a complementary or stand-alone service setting. The Histology unit is managed by an expert in-house veterinarian pathologist.
The strength of our histology unit is in our understanding of the experimental design of pre-clinical efficacy or safety studies.
We have extensive experience in the development and implementation of different investigational methodologies utilizing a large array of techniques, including “free floating sections” as a modern method.
We provide researchers with valuable input at the early planning phase of a study, or carry out histology and pathology analysis at any stage of a project, customized to your needs.
- Immunohistochemistry and special stains:
- Stainings for fibrous tissue, stromal components, epithelial glycoproteins, calcification and more
- From commonly used stains (Silver stain for bone tissue, Toluidine blue, Masson Trichrome and H&E) to more specialized staining methods (Paragon and more)
- Special immunofluorescence for brain research, stem cells and other subjects
- Morphometric service: Manual (semi-quantitative) and digital histological result quantification
- Technical and scientific QA: We are a GLP-certified CRO. The histology unit is non-GLP, however uses a GLP compliant QA.
- Gross pathology:
- Sample methods: sample treatment and harvesting methods (full organ, biopsies, true cuts, fine needle aspirations, wet smears, damp smears etc.)
- Different fixative media (formaldehyde, alcohols, Davidson, HOPE and other fixatives for tissues and cells)
- Supporting animal models: Examining animal models with relevance to human diseases.
- Organs measurements and weight, organ evaluation: Diagnosis of normal and abnormal organ morphology
- Comparative anatomy & pathology
- Documentation: Results are formatedd in tables and images, according to the client’s demand.
- Smear evaluation (malignancy, inflammation, unique cytological features)
- Professional fixation, staining and immunohistochemistry of cytological smears
- Broncho-alveolar lavage (BAL)
- Bone marrow evaluation
- Cerebrospinal fluid evaluation
- Synovial fluid evaluation
- Medical Device Analysis:
- Sectioning of metal and other hard devices within the tissue, without creating artifacts through use of a diamond saw
- Standard device sectioning in paraffin
- High quality: unique plastic slides ensure smooth tissue sectioning (15-30 micron) and allow full histological evaluation in light microscopy
- Perfect morphometric method: measurements performed directly on the slide (tissue density, % contact tissue/device), cellular involvment
- Free floating sections: a sectioning method that can be used for immunefluorescence staining. It allows optimal antibody penetration and staining of thick sections that are then imaged through a confocal microscope.
- Other services and capabilities:
- In-situ hybridization on paraffin sections
- Extraction of DNA and RNA from paraffin blocks
- Specialized tissue fixatives (HOPE)
- Development of new scientific methods in the fields of imaging, histology and tissue processing.